RE: st: merge by nearest date

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: merge by nearest date
Date   Wed, 9 Sep 2009 01:58:06 -0700

There are many kinds of user-written matching programs depending on the
metric involved and for what purposes: psmatch2, nnmatch, distmatch, etc.
All available from ssc.

A solution similar to the one posted below would use a metric other
than physical distance.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-08/msg01536.html

It's short enough to post it here but it probably will not make it
past the gatekeeper. Joseph can get it from ssc when Kit gets back
from London or he can contact me privately.

-anymatch- will attempt to find a match according to the user-specified
metric of choice. It should handle many types of matching, including the
sibling-matching (which you can do by using the family id as the
metric, which has the distance of 0).

anymatch [varlist], id(idcode) metric(date)

Since we are mapping from one dataset to another, idcode should be missing
(.) if it came from one of the dataset, which would force a mapping from
the non-missing id to the missing id but not the other way around.

Alternative you can do this relatively easily if you -append- the datasets,
tsfill the missing dates, and search up and down for up to 7 rows, which
would represent 7 days.

Roy