st: RE: distribution curve with svy

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: distribution curve with svy
Date   Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:46:18 +0200

How about the second example in -help cumul-?

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Holly Kosiewicz
Sent: Dienstag, 8. September 2009 19:24
Subject: st: distribution curve with svy

Hi Statalist,

I currently have a dataset that contains a sample of individuals; this
dataset also contains a final weight variable that can be used to generate
population estimates.

I would like to draw a distribution curve of a variable that measures
income, by the educational attainment level of the individual.  The end goal
is to see two  distributional curves - each curve representing a population
with a specific educational attainment level - one superimposed on the
other, and compare them. Ideally, I would make these comparisons based on
the population, not on the sample.

The first thing that came to mind was a histogram command, but I noticed
that the only curve that it can generate is a normal curve. That's not what
I want. Then I thought about using a graph twoway scatterplot, but that too
does not produce the distributional curve that I want. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Holly Kosiewicz, M.A.
Research Associate
Research Center