RE: AW: st: RE: sort on month

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: AW: st: RE: sort on month
Date   Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:07:07 +0100

David is quite correct, as far as the default of -encode- is concerned.

The most puzzling question not yet answered is why -destring- would not
oblige in this case. I think the questioner has some bad stuff lurking
in their data.

David Kantor

At 09:35 AM 9/8/2009, Martin Weiss wrote:

>-encode- is the wrong tool, as it assigns numeric codes arbitrarily.
[...]

I believe it is not arbitrary. It works, apparently (in Stata 10), on
alphabetic order, which would yield the same result as the string
version.