st: RE: harrell C statistics comparison

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: harrell C statistics comparison
Date   Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:18:04 +0100

In principle, the difference between 2 Harrell's c statistics can be calculated using the -somersd- package (downloadable from SSC), together with -lincom-. As in:

somersd y x1 x2, transf(c) tdist
lincom x1-x2

which will give you a confidence interval for the difference between Hallell's c of -x1- with respect to -y- and Harrell's c of -x2- with respect to -y-. If -y- is a survival time, with a censorship status variable -cs- which is 1 for right-censored data, -1 for left-censored data and 0 for uncensored data, then you should type

somersd y x1 x2, transf(c) tdist
lincom x1-x2

This will be a valid comparison if -x1- and -x2- are 2 alternative predictive scores for y, as long as the dataset used to estimate the confidence limits for Harrell's c is not the dataset used to derive the scores in the first place. If you only have 1 dataset, then this should probably be split into a training set (to find the 2 nested models), and a test set (to calculate the 2 Harrell's c-indices and their difference).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil