st: bug in -xtmelogit-?

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   st: bug in -xtmelogit-?
Date   Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:32:06 -0400

By accident I coded the following

  xtmelogit depvar var1 || groupid: var2, cov(unstructured) var

Note that var2 is not in the equation, but I have specified it as
a random coefficient. After puzzling over my results for some time
I discovered my error, but I am surprised that -xtmelogit- did not
discover it for me. What exactly was it estimated for the variance
of the coefficient on -var2-? Is this a bug?