Re: RE: st: random date generator

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: random date generator
Date   Fri, 4 Sep 2009 14:32:32 +0200

Jeph,

thank you for your quick reply and your advices. I tried it but still have
a problem maybe you or other statalist-pros could help me.

You suggested
  gen daysinyear=doy(mdy(12,31,year))
  gen rndday=int(daysinyear*runiform())
  gen rnddate=mdy(1,1,year)+rndday

My problem is that I need one random date per ID for the year in which the
decison was made.

Based on your suggestions I trie to solve in this way:

Because I need the date in the decison year I used:
bys ID: egen maxyear = max(year)

then I computed the days for the "decison year":
gen daysinyear = doy (mdy (12, 31, maxyear)

But then I failed again. When I use
gen rndday= int (daysinyear*runiform())
I get several random numbers for one ID. But I need only one random number
per ID, because I need only one "day of decison" for each subject.

Could anybody help me to get compute one random number per ID (in a panel
data set)?

Thank you for your help!

Best Frauke

___________________________________