Re: st: regression using dummy variables

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: regression using dummy variables
Date   Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:52:38 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 3/9/09, Amy Jennings wrote:
> I am new to STATA and am currently doing (trying) multiple
> regression using dummy coded categorical variables, I want
> to compare my coefficients so I can assess the relative
> strength of each predictor as I would in multiple regression
> with continuous predictors.  is it possible to get an
> overall coefficient for my dummy coded variables?

Yes, this is what so called sheaf coefficients where designed
to do, see: Heise, David R. (1972). Employing nominal
variables, induced variables, and block variables in path
analysis. Sociological Methods & Research, 1(2): 147--173.

These sheaf coefficients can be computed in Stata using the
-sheafcoef- package, which you can install by typing in
Stata: -ssc install sheafcoef-

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie