RE: st: Outreg2 and Stata 11

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Outreg2 and Stata 11
Date   Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:29:20 -0700

> using outreg2 with Stata 10, after changing to Stata 11 things like
> "Please hit Enter to continue" keep popping up in my stata output and
> the "seeout" option is not behaving as it used to do.
>
> Christian

There are several things about the latest version of -seeout-.

First, -seeout- relied on the old browser behavior that prevented
the program from executing. In Stata 11, this is no longer the case.

According to the Stata Corp, this cannot be undone.

Their detailed advice was to either request a keyboard hit from the user
or dispaly the table in the results window or the viewer.

In my opinion, they are significantly less useful form of displaying
tables. I chose not to implement them when I first wrote outreg2 four
years ago even though I had the codes to do so.

The funny thing about table-making in Stata is that it doesn't fit any of the
preconceived notions of how it should work. Most people would think that
nicely formated displays in the viewer or on the paper would make a better
viewing experience with neatly aligned fonts. It does not. A slightly offskew
display in the browser or the tab-delimited, cell-centered displays in
Excel/Word/Tex with slightly misaligned fonts makes a better presentation
because the asterisk of significance *** pushes the numbers a little off to
the left and automatically attracts attentions from your eyeballs. It also
saves space. I don't talk about these things but they are there.

Now, I am not terribly happy with the current set up requesting a keyboard
hit from the user, but it is what it is.

If anyone can has a better suggestion, please feel free to make one.

Second, I recently made some changes to outreg2 that is preventing -seeout-
command from working properly. This has been fixed. I will send it to Kit
when he has obviously recovered from his latest sojourns away from Boston.

Roy