st: RE: -svyset-, weights, and NLSY

From   Howard Lempel <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -svyset-, weights, and NLSY
Date   Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:56:09 -0400

I have a coworker struggling with some of the same issues with the NLSY, so count me interested.  If anyone has any advice, please reply on the list.

Thanks,
Howie

Howie Lempel
Senior Research Assistant
The Brookings Institution | Economic Studies

1775 Massachusetts Ave NW | Washington DC 20036
[email protected] | p: (202) 238-3576

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mike Lacy
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:52 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: -svyset-, weights, and NLSY

Greetings,

I'm working with the NLSY (National Longitudinal Study of Youth
http://www.bls.gov/nls/nlsy79.htm)  and trying to make appropriate
allowances for the complex survey design, taking into account both
weighting and the sample design structure.

To make a long story short, the documentation on this is pretty
terse, and practices in the literature are a bit dicey (e.g., using
weights but ignoring sample structure or design effects; ignoring
weighting and sample structure completely).   I'm discovering that
it's a pretty good piece of work to figure out what to do from the
sample design documentation, so I'm taking a stab here hoping someone
in the Stata community might have have worked with the NLSY and
--svyset- and be willing to share some code.  I suppose this might be
of sufficiently limited interest that a response off list might make
more sense.

Regards,

Mike Lacy, Assoc. Prof.
Soc. Dept., Colo. State. Univ.