RE: st: 3D surface plot of joint density

From   "Forshee, Richard" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: 3D surface plot of joint density
Date   Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:33:52 -0400

You might also consider a density plot instead of a 3D plot.  I have
used the sunflower density plot, implemented in the -sunflower- command,
for this kind of problem.

Richard A. Forshee, Ph.D.
Senior Risk Assessment Expert
Office of Biostatistics & Epidemiology
FDA - Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research
1401 Rockville Pike HFM-210
Rockville, MD 20852

Phone: (301) 827-6042
Fax:     (301) 827-3529

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Maarten buis
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: st: 3D surface plot of joint density

--- On Wed, 2/9/09, Donna Gilleskie wrote:
> I am trying to generate a graph of the joint
> density of two variables (bmi and age).

3D graphics is not a strong point of Stata. One
thing you could do is turn age into a
categorical variable and use Nick Cox's
-stripplot- to display the distribution of BMI
for each age category in one graph. This may
actually be more easy to interpret than a 3D
density plot. You can install -stripplot- by
typing in Stata -ssc install stripplot-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen