RE: st: correlated data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: correlated data
Date   Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:06:42 +0100

I don't think anyone can guarantee that corresponding pixels (voxels) on
different images are measuring the same element of body, so what is to
be paired with what?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard
Hiscock
Sent: 01 September 2009 14:24
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: correlated data

Nick,
To my mind the scanned raw data signal is the variable (as per BP or
heart rate)
The instrument that performs the measurement (software) is the
measurement technique under examination and measures the raw data with
error In this case the old standard vs 3 new techniques
I don't see the correlation problem, isn't it one of assessing
agreement on a continuous scale & which technique is least biased?
You could perform analyses of old standard vs each of the new
techniques.
I believe that OLS regression is not appropriate as  both y (old
technique) & x (new technique) variables are both measured with error
Approaches suggested include least products regression or the Bland
Altman method of differences

this reference may be helpful: Ludbrook, J.  Statistical techniques
for comparing measures and methods of measurement: a critical review.
Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2002;29:527 -
536.

Cheers Richard Hiscock