Re: st: Logit and the Clustered Bootstrap

Subject   Re: st: Logit and the Clustered Bootstrap
Date   Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:58:55 -0400

Stas et al.--
I agree, but note that the bias due to estimating incidental
parameters when including a set of dummies in a logit model is
probably not too large, perhaps order 1/T so not too big a deal if you
have many years per state (T large relative to N), though you would
have to do a simulation for your particular set-up.  See e.g. recent
threads http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg01008.html
and http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg00926.html and
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg00935.html

Also, there are solutions other than clogit/xtlogit including a
bias-corrected estimator (subtract off the first-order bias term as
discussed in e.g.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2336755
but then you get higher variance, so maybe higher MSE) or a
kernel-based method, as discussed in
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2951556
and the many papers that cite that paper.

See also
http://www.econ.brown.edu/~tl/papers/IncidentalParameters1948.pdf
http://www.cemfi.es/~arellano/arellano-hahn-paper2006.pdf