Re: st: spatial analysis - DISTANCE

From   David Torres <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: spatial analysis - DISTANCE
Date   Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:15:43 -0400

Austin, I've looked over the code you offered and it seems that what I'm getting is just the xy coordinates rather than what I need. There's got to be a way, somehow, to have stata return a list of all the unitids that are within the specified radius. When I run the code I have, all I get is a return of the unitid on the nearest school to my 65000 tracts. However, within the rad10 variable, several tracts have multiple schools within my radius of 10 miles. I need to get all of these unitids regardless of whether I end up with wide or long data; I can always reshape later.

Is my question clearer?

Well, any help you or anyone else can give is greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep working at it.

Thanks
David D. Torres

Quoting Austin Nichols <[email protected]>:

David Torres<[email protected]> :
This is in reference to e.g.
http://stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-07/msg00083.html
http://stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-01/msg00098.html
I believe.

Note that standard Stata commands like -summarize- and -replace-
inside the loop do all the work of saving characteristics of the
nearest, or k nearest, observations (and whatever else, such as mean
of Z over those with distance less than 10 units).  No program like
-vincenty- (on SSC) does that; a -replace- command does it.
-vincenty- does not return "the min, max, mean, or whatever" and it
appears that -globdist- (which I found with -findit-) does only part
of what -vincenty- does (and the -globdist- help file contains the
caveat that "Testing of this program has been limited").  In other
words, add a -replace- to put the result you want in a variable.

Maybe you want something like:

g long rad10=.
g double dist1=.
g id1=""
g xy1=""
merge using univpoints00_0
forv i=1/`np' {
qui vincenty `=latitude[`i']' `=longitude[`i']' sch_lat sch_lon, hav(dis)
g within10=dis<10
su within10, meanonly
qui replace rad10=r(sum) in `i'
su dis, meanonly
qui replace dist1=r(min) in `i'
qui levelsof unitid if dis==dist1[`i'], loc(vs)
foreach v of loc vs {
 qui replace id1="`v' "+id1 in `i'
 su sch_lat if unitid==`v', meanonly
 loc y1=r(mean)
 su sch_lon if unitid==`v', meanonly
 loc x1=r(mean)
 qui replace xy1="(`x1',`y1') "+id1 in `i'
 }
drop dis within10
}