Re: RE: st: Re: How to eliminate the double quotes surrounding letters?

From   [email protected]
To   statalist<[email protected]>
Subject   Re: RE: st: Re: How to eliminate the double quotes surrounding letters?
Date   Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:44:06 +0800

Nick,

thank you very much from my heart for your elaborate explanation.

The generic advice is valuable, which I will take especially when receiving error messages.

Thank you very much again for teaching me how to fish, not just giving me fishes.

Best regards,

Rose.

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: Re: How to eliminate the double quotes surrounding letters?
Date: 2009-8-30 00:09:20

That is the wrong way to think about the double quotes.

In "ab cd ef" the " " are delimiters, showing where the string begins
and ends: they are not part of the string, just as an envelope is not
part of a letter.

Why do you need the delimiters in Stata? One good reason, which is quite
sufficient, is that if you refer to

ab cd ef

then in many Stata contexts it is expected that such strings are
variable names (or scalar names). You need the " " in "ab cd ef" to make
it clear whenever you have a literal string, not names of variables or
scalars.

In general, Stata automatically sees the delimiters and strips them off.
You need do nothing to ensure that. Consider

. di "ab cd ef"

ab cd ef

-display- strips the delimiters. Also consider what happens you go

local foo = subinstr("Stata is good", "good", "excellent", .)

The local -foo- ends up containing

Stata is excellent

If you in turn need to refer to that local, then you will need to refer
to "`foo'" to make clear that a literal string is required -- unless
you do have actually have variable names -Stata-, -is-, -excellent-!

Joseph,

thank you very much for your help and I solved my problem by the method
you suggested.
By the way, is it a general way to deal with eliminating double quotes
surrounding letters?
Namely, is there a function applied in this situation? I tried -real()-
function, however, I got a missing value.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/