st: string variable

From   Sue <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: string variable
Date   Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:38:11 -0400

Dear all,

I was trying to do some simple data management with a string variable.
More specifically, I did:

insheet using bankyears.csv, clear
keep if bankname == "Fidelity Bank" | bankname == "Citibank"

which dropped all observations. When I looked at the data, it turned
out that the width of the single space between words was different (it
was wider in stata than in my editor, if this makes sense) although it
was still just one space. I've tried

replace bankname = subinstr(bankname, " ", "", .)

which didn't work. I could encode the variable then single out the
numeric value of the observations that I want to keep, but I was
wondering if there was a non-manual way around this. If anyone has
advice on this, I'd appreciate it.