st: Making a table for percentage changes in stata

From   Dana Chandler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Making a table for percentage changes in stata
Date   Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:32:59 -0500

Is there any module or easy way to calculate percentage changes in
stata? That is to say, a percentage change relative to some base
period. I am interested in an easy way to make a summary table of
percent changes to have exported to either excel or powerpoint.

Currently, supposing that my data has a "before" and "after"
observation in long form and then any number of other potential
categories, I either do a bunch of egens to create the totals and then
calculate the percent changes. Next, I "tag" whatever the unit of
observation is and then I make a table showing the mean of the percent
change. Alternatively, I could create and export a table that shows
the before and afters and then put that in excel and then calculate %
changes. Both processes seem really tedious.

Is there any easy way to do this in Stata?

Thanks in advance,
Dana