st: Heterogeneity and trend in proportions (Chi-square)

From   David Winter <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Heterogeneity and trend in proportions (Chi-square)
Date   Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:03:48 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

I am an IT Manager with limited statistical experience trying to help a
Masters student with some statistical testing. We currently use Stata SE
version 10.

The data relates to the occurrence of meningitis in a specific
geographic area of the UK.  I have the relevant population statistics
for the geographic area to calculate incidence.  I would like to be able
to run a Chi-square test for heterogeneity and trend in proportions in
various factors.  The following is an example of the data.

         Num. Events   Incidence (Events/Population)
         ===========   =============================
Factor

Sex:
Male       1210         17.31
Female      986         14.79

Age(yrs):
0-4        1474         46.20
5-9        271           7.89
10-14      191           5.26
15-19      260           7.65

In the above example, I should like to run the tests for heterogeneity
and trend (where applicable) on Sex and then Age.

What would be the best way to proceed please?

Dave Winter
School of Health & Population Sciences
University of Birmingham