Re: st: AW: how to get slopes by clusters in a linear regression

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: how to get slopes by clusters in a linear regression
Date   Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:31:09 -0400

László Sándor <>:
Using the FWL thm is the fastest way to go, probably, but I am not
clear on what you are actually doing.  Is it something like one of the
approaches below?  Or are you trying to get the individual-specific
coefs on the treatment dummy (harder, but can be done in Mata without
making any really big matrices)?

webuse grunfeld, clear
set seed 1
ren company c
keep if c<5
qui ta c, g(d_)
g byte t=uniform()>.5
forv i=1/4 {
 g byte td_`i'=d_`i'*t
drop d_1
reg mvalue kstock d_* td_*
est sto reg1
egen double m1=mean(mvalue), by(c t)
g double mres=mvalue-m1
egen double k1=mean(kstock), by(c t)
g double kres=kstock-k1
areg mres kres, a(c)
est sto reg2
egen c2=group(t c)
areg mvalue kstock, a(c2)
est sto reg3
est table reg?

Or are you doing something like:

qui reg mvalue td_2 td_3 td_4 d_* kstock
predict m2, res
qui reg td_1 td_2 td_3 td_4 d_* kstock
predict t2, res
reg m2 t2

which still needs big matrices as the problem gets big?  Make sure you
are getting the right answer in a small subsample before you go too