st: Re: GPUs and statistical computing

From   David Airey <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Re: GPUs and statistical computing
Date   Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:00:41 -0500

Turns out, according to the authors, that they ARE using cards and CUDA that allows double-precision. Amazing.

In the following interesting article,

the authors " that a single GPU machine containing three GPUs that costs $2000 performs similarly to 150 CPUs on a compute cluster. These CPUs, including the added infrastructure and support cost of the cluster system, would cost approximately $82,500."

Occasionally I ask Stata Corp about the possibility of parallel computing using graphics processing chips, for example:

The problem seems to be that GPUs do not generally support double- precision arithmetic. I guess one question for the authors of the above article is: fast yes, but precise?