st: svyset for a multistage sampling design

From   "Tomeka Davis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: svyset for a multistage sampling design
Date   Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:48:54 -0400

I am trying to use the set of svy commands to analyze data collected using a multi-stage design.  The first stage of sampling involved counties that were selected proportional to their size (N~100).  Next, schools were sampled (N~400), and then students were randomly sampled within schools.

In this context, the county is the psu and the school is the strata. I am not sure how strata with one sampling unit were treated.  Because I must have this option in  STATA, I choose the certainty option since it contributes nothing to the standard error.  Without the option, the program does not calculate standard errors.

My syntax looks like :  svyset county [pweight=studentweight], strata (school) ||_n, singleunit (certainty)

The problem is that I am not clear if STATA is using all of the stages.  After I enter the command, I get a message that says:

"Note:  stage 1 is sampled with replacement; all further stages will be ignored".

I would appreciate any comments.