RE: st: Stata 11 Random Effects--Std. Errors

From   DE SOUZA Eric <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 11 Random Effects--Std. Errors
Date   Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:33:53 +0200

One would have to come up with a very particular error structure to allow for heteroscedasticity but not for serial correlation in the case when both the unobservable effect and the idiosyncratic error is absorbed by the residual.

I must admit that I have not looked at Stata's PA and MLE estimators. I am also not very happy (as a teacher) with the way Stata defines the fixed effects estimator. Why not use the conventional definition of deviations from the group mean?

Eric

Eric de Souza
College of Europe
Brugge (Bruges), Belgium
http://www.coleurope.eu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Schaffer, Mark E
Sent: 19 August 2009 20:20
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Stata 11 Random Effects--Std. Errors

This is different from the reason provided by Stock-Watson (2008) for FEs (see earlier in the thread).

Stock and Watson show that for the fixed effects estimator, the usual robust VCV - i.e., robust but not cluster-robust - is not consistent.
It's another example of the "incidental parameters" problem.  This is why Stata 10 won't report it under any circumstances, including version control.

My suspicion was that this might carry over to the usual robust VCV for the random effects estimator and that this was why it was dropped in
Stata 11, but apparently not.   Using cluster-robust with RE is
apparently just following standard practice in the literature.

If so, though, then I think I'd prefer to see non-cluster robust SEs available with the RE estimator through an option rather than version control.

--Mark (left scratching his head and wondering why robust and cluster robust are both kosher for the RE estimator, only cluster-robust is kosher for the FE estimator, Stata's PA estimator allows only robust but not cluster-robust, and Stata's MLE estimator allows neither)

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC000278.