st: comparing the means of two variables(not groups) for survey data

From   Mandy fu <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: comparing the means of two variables(not groups) for survey data
Date   Wed, 19 Aug 2009 00:04:54 -0400

Hi all,

Previous discussion of comparing means in survey data are focus on two
groups. I am interested in comparing means of two variables in survey
data.

For example, in the following data set for students test scores, I'd
like  to compare the population means of "read" and "write". I was
wondering , since the probability weight for each student is constant,
if  it is fine that  I just use t test? If I need to use probability
weight, how to do that after the survey mean estimation?

I tried --svy:mean-- and then use--lincom--. But since there seems
always some errors message.
use http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/notes/hsb2, clear
svyset [pw=socst], strata(ses)
     *** t test