RE: AW: st: local containing (all) variables' names in a dataset

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: AW: st: local containing (all) variables' names in a dataset
Date   Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:15:51 +0100

Thanks to Eric and to other friends of -ds- for various plugs.

There is some risk here of various small confusions. Let me clarify.

1. The official version of -ds- is the latest version there is. It
incorporates all my contributions that have lasting value, in my view
that is.

2. Otherwise this is the story:

ds5 on SSC is for Stata 5.

ds2 on SSC and in STB-56 is for Stata 6.

ds2 in STB-60 is for Stata 7.

ds3 on SSC is for Stata 7.

So, unless you are using an ancient Stata, the previous versions are of
no current interest. They aren't even of historic interest! The key
point is that both the STB and SSC are archives, and thus inevitably
contain some superseded and obsolete stuff.

Eric A. Booth

It's been updated to newer versions  by Nick Cox--see  -ds3- and -ds5-

ssc install ds3
ssc install ds5

On Aug 17, 2009, at 1:06 PM, David Jacobs wrote:

> But -ds- still can be found after -help-

Martin Weiss

>> " a real hidden gem"
>>

>> Now demoted to "previously documented" status in Stata 11, though.
>> Grrr....

Augusto Cadenas

>> thank you very much for these quick answers. -ds- seems to
>> do a very fine job, a real hidden gem, as Martin wrote. (and yes, I'm
>> aware that I'm replacing the original dataset.)

>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Martin Weiss<[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> > On -ds- also see
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=dm0040

Scott Merryman

>> > You can use macro list.  See -help macrolists-
>> >
>> > For example:
>> >
>> > . sysuse auto ,clear
>> > (1978 Automobile Data)
>> >
>> > . ds
>> > make          mpg           headroom      weight        turn
>> > gear_ratio
>> > price         rep78         trunk         length
>> displacement
>> > foreign
>> >
>> > . local a = r(varlist)
>> >
>> > . local b  make rep78
>> >
>> > . local c:list  a - b
>> >
>> > . disp "`c'"
>> > price mpg headroom trunk weight length turn displacement
>> gear_ratio foreign

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Augusto Cadenas