RE: st: AW: how to make the labels in the localname to be independent of each other?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: how to make the labels in the localname to be independent of each other?
Date   Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:23:13 +0100

You don't _need_ to put them in one (big) macro. You could just put them
in several. Here is a sketch.

use firstdata

foreach v in var * {
	local l_`v' "`: var label `v''"
}

use seconddata

foreach v in var * {
	label var `v' "`l_`v''"
}

Martin, thank you for your quick reply.

I just take a simply example in my previous posting. In fact, I want to
store the labels for certain variables in one dta into a localname and
then feed them to other variables in the other dta. However, the labels
for certain variables have space, which make things troublesome.

From: Martin Weiss <[email protected]>

If you really do want -_all- variables, then your -word count- is a
rather
roundabout and hazardous way to get the # of variables. Why not just

*************
di in red "# of vars in the dataset: " c(k)
*************

[email protected]

I generate a localname to stand for the var labels of certain variables.
However, there are spaces in the labels of certain variables.
How to let stata treat each label as a complete unit?

For example,

clear
input x y
1 2
3 9
end
la var x "the first"
la var y "the second"
foreach i of varlist _all {
loc labels "`labels' `: var l `i''"
}
di "`labels'"
the first the second
di "`: word count `labels''"
4

In fact my purpose is to generate a localname including two labels, and
the
word count
of it is 2.