st: xtmepoisson

From   Simon Moore <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtmepoisson
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:38:26 +0100

Dear Statalist

I have data from over 60k school kids over ten years by school and I'm interested in looking at the relationship between personal and aggregate variables (alcprice, price of alcohol by year) on alcohol use (a count variable, number of drinks). Data is collected from the same schools over time.

I'm on a bit of a learning curve here and my initial thought was to use:

xtmepoisson alcohol age smoker alcprice ... || school: || year: alcprice, cov(unstr)

where alcprice is the annual affordability of alcohol. Having started the model three hours ago, it has now been sitting there at the "Refining starting values:" without the slightest indication that it is making headway.

There is no such problem when I try:

xtpoisson alcohol age smoker alcprice year alcprice ... , i(school)

So my question is - have a done something strange in the xtmepoisson command that Stata may object to, if not, is there a rule of thumb for the length of time I should wait for?

Regards
Simon