st: _robust and weights [WAS: ivreg2 results do not replicate from stata 9 to stata 11]

Subject   st: _robust and weights [WAS: ivreg2 results do not replicate from stata 9 to stata 11]
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:35:20 +0100

Hi all.  I think I've traced this to an apparent change in behaviour of
the _robust command when used with weights between Stata 10 and Stata
11.  I'm using Stata IC running under Windows XP.

The change in behaviour of _robust can be demonstrated using -regress-
and the toy auto dataset, and the example in the on-line help for
_robust.

Under Stata 10 (and probably earlier but I haven't checked), using
_robust and aweights or fweights replicates the results obtained with
-regress, robust-.  Under Stata 11, the results with -regress, robust-
are the same as Stata 10, but the results with _robust are different.

Here is the code that demonstrates:

sysuse auto
qui regress mpg weight gear_ratio foreign [aw=trunk], mse1
matrix D = e(V)
predict double e, residual
_robust e [aw=trunk], v(D) minus(4)
matrix list D
qui regress mpg weight gear_ratio foreign [aw=trunk], robust
mat list e(V)

The two VCVs are the same under Stata 10 but not under Stata 11.

The discrepancy is the same with fweights.  pweights are a bit different
because the VCVs obtained using the two methods aren't (supposed to be)
the same, but the Stata 10 VCV obtained with _robust and pweights is
different from that obtained with Stata 11's _robust and pweights.

I've reported this to Stata Tech Support, but in the meantime I'd be
curious to see if others see the same behaviour under other platforms.

Meanwhile ... users of -ivreg2- should not use weights + robust under
Stata 11 for now.  (-ranktest- is OK because it uses Mata rather than
_robust.)

Cheers,
Mark (-ivreg2- coauthor)

registered under charity number SC000278.