Re: st: Passing a local variable into a subsequent do-file

Subject   Re: st: Passing a local variable into a subsequent do-file
Date   Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:38:56 -0400

Dear Bryce,

what you want in fact is globals. Locals are isolated to the
subroutine where they are created (and hence the name), so they are
not accessible unless passed as parameter, or via globals, or
matrices, or files, or otherwise.

Here is what you can do

// ---------- begin of file task.do
display "Relationship of mpg to weight, length and car origin in price
segment $PR_Q"
summarize mpg  if pq==$PR_Q
regress mpg weight length foreign if pq==$PR_Q
// ------------ end of file task.do

// ----------- begin of file main.do
sysuse auto
xtile pq=price, nq(5)
forvalues pq=1/5 {
  global PR_Q=`pq'
  do task.do
}
// ------------ end of file main.do

Also see -args-, locals `1', `2', etc, -syntax-.

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin