Re: st: Problem in factor analysis & Cronbach's alpha

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Problem in factor analysis & Cronbach's alpha
Date   Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:53:08 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 11/8/09, Xu, Haiyong wrote:
> I got an error message which I don't understand when I was
> testing the Cronbach's alpha of the factors' scores after
> doing factor analysis to a few variables.
> . factor pcs3 mcs3 sfindex3 eurq2 depress_score1_rev, pcf
> . predict factor1 factor2
> . alpha factor1 factor2, std item detail
> variable __00000P not found
> r(111);

I agree that this is not an informative error message, and that
that should be fixed. My intuition says that it doesn't make
sense to compute a Cronbach's alpha on factor scores rather than
the original variables, but I will happily bow to superior
wisdom, which I am sure exists in abundance in this case.

One such source of superior wisdom that you have close at hand
are the good people of ATS:
We at the list will happily help you, but you just can't beat
a face to face discussion.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie