Re: st: Factor variables and mim

From (Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: st: Factor variables and mim
Date   Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:14:07 -0500

Fred Wolfe <> pointed out that although -mi
estimate- supports factor variables, it does not support -xtmixed-:

> Yes, -mim- does not accept factor variables - too bad.  and -mi estimate-
> doesn't work with xtmixed or mfp
> mim works with xtmixed.
> From my perspective, if you want to use multiply imputed data sets and
> -xtmixed-, it appears that -ice- and -mim- are what must be used, but
> without factor variables - something that could be done in Stata 10.1.

Fred is right that -mi estimate- does not yet officially support -xtmixed-.
However, -mi estimate- provides a way of obtaining results from virtually any
estimation command via option -cmdok-.  For example, you can type:

. mi estimate, cmdok: xtmixed y x1 i.x2 || group:

to obtain MI results from -xtmixed- with factor variables.