Re: Re: st: Panel data regression

From   Andreas Hatzigeorgiou <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: Panel data regression
Date   Fri, 7 Aug 2009 10:57:45 +0200

Thank you for responding. I will try to clarify. The regression
contains time-specific fixed effects only since control variables vary
both on country-specific and country-pair levels. There is one
reporter and multiple partners. Imports and exports are regressed
separately, so presumably i and j indices are "meaningfully
different". It is not possible to define id based on i and j since it
will be constant over categories of goods. The -areg- command does not
seem to handle the estimation correctly since it is not capable of
recognizing how panels are constructed. Any suggestions to move
forward with -xtreg- would be appreciated.

Again, thank you!

Andreas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 13:45:20 -0400
From: Austin Nichols <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: Panel data regression

Andreas Hatzigeorgiou<[email protected]> :

Pooled regression needs no -xtset-; do you want fixed effects?
See -help areg- for an alternative estimator, or -findit felsdvreg- etc.
Are the i and j indices meaningfully different, or are these pairs of
countries where identities are interchangeable?
E.g. if you have exports and imports, the exports of country i to
country j are presumably the imports of country j from country i, so
perhaps you want fixed effects for each pair of countries, not each
country.

You seem to have used i to mean at least two different things in your
email; perhaps you can clarify.