Statalist

Re: st: How to get the P values of the random effects after running an xtmixed command

From   SR Millis <srmillis@yahoo.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: How to get the P values of the random effects after running an xtmixed command
Date   Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:21:13 -0700 (PDT)

There's not a consensus regarding the nature, form, and effectiveness of single parameter tests for variance components.  With that caution in mind, you can examine the confidence interval to see if it contains 0--to get a rough idea regarding the rejection of the null.  A better method is to evaluate/compare models using the deviance statistic along with changes in ICC as you systematically build and evaluate your models.

Scott Millis