st: test of over-identifying restrctions after Heckman model

From   "Evren Ceritoglu" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: test of over-identifying restrctions after Heckman model
Date   Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:28:49 +0300

Hello Statalist,

I want to perform over-identifying restrictions (overid) test after Heckman two-step selection model. I must introduce at least one exogeneous variable in the probit equation, which becomes an instrument, for the Heckman model to hold. However, this process also reqires an overid test after the estimation to check whether the instruments are valid or not.

OLS: lny1 = X1b1 + X2b2 + u
Probit: d = X1b1 + Zb3 + e

(d: dummy variable, which is the selection criterion)
(Z: set of instruments, composed of dummy variables)

The overid command is useful after ivprobit or ivtobit, but it is not possible to use it after the Heckman model.

I tried to perform a LR test, but there was a problem! I stored the predictions (estimation results) from the overidentified regression (heckoverid) and also the predictions (estimation results) from the just-identified regression (heckjustid). However, stata says that heckoverid does not contain scalar e(ll), which I don't understand in both cases.

I) over-identified model

OLS: lny1 = X1b1 + X2b2 + u
Probit: d = X1b1 + Zb3 + e

II) just-identified model

OLS: lny1 = X1b1 + X2b2 + Zb3 + u
Probit: d = X1b1 + Zb3 + e

III) LR test

lrtest heckoverid heckjustid, df(1) (assuming that there is only one instrument)

Is there a feasible way to perform over-identifying restrictions test after the Heckman two-step selection model?

Thank you,

Evren Ceritoglu

Bu e-posta sadece yukarida isimleri belirtilen kisiler arasinda ozel haberlesme amacini tasimaktadir. Size yanlislikla ulasmissa lutfen gonderen kisiyi bilgilendiriniz ve mesaji sisteminizden siliniz. Turkiye Cumhuriyet Merkez Bankasi A.S. bu mesajin icerigi ile ilgili olarak hicbir hukuksal sorumlulugu kabul etmez.

This e-mail communication is intended for the private use of the people named above. If you received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete it from your system. The Central Bank of The Republic of Turkey does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.