Re: st: AW: creating and calling local macros in do-files

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: creating and calling local macros in do-files
Date   Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:34:41 -0500

To reinforce Martin's points:

1. The word -local- means what it says. Local macros are not visible outside their locale, meaning the program, do file, do-file editor or interactive session in which they are defined. There are ways of circumventing this, which are only occasionally needed, but it is very much the rule.

2. We need to see code to give precise advice. Your word descriptions plus your guesses on what and why don't give enough information to pin down the precise problems you are creating.

Nick

Martin Weiss wrote:
<>

First of all, from your description it is not necessarily the case that you
need -local-s at all. If you do, a do-file counts as one session, and all
-local-s are lost upon its termination.

I would suggest you post example data and what you want to achieve, and the
-local- thing will be rendered redundant...