st: RE: Bug in Stata11 Editor

Subject   st: RE: Bug in Stata11 Editor
Date   Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:30:23 +0200

<>

I vaguely recall hearing this one at the "Wishes and Grumbles" at the DC
meeting this week, so that awareness is assured...

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Salah Mahmud
Sent: Sonntag, 2. August 2009 19:04
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Bug in Stata11 Editor

This is not technically a bug, more of an odd and at times infuriating
behavior (and it is not new to Stata 11 either).
To reproduce:
1. Select some text in the editor.
2. Click Edit | Find | replace to activate the replace dialog.
3. Enter a search word.
4. Click "replace all."
All occurrences of the search word in the selected text are replaced
(expected). What is unexpected is that the editor will replace,
without warning, all occurrences of the search word in the unselected
text too. As far as I could tell this occurs whether "wrap
search/replace" is checked or not.

Because "undo" undoes one replace at at time, you will now have to
spend the rest of your morning clicking undo to get back your code or
just reload the file and lose all unsaved changes.

In all text editors I have used, search and replace is limited to
selected text. Word gives you the option to extend search to
unselected text.

/salah mahmud