Re: st: Note warning after discrete-time logit model

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Note warning after discrete-time logit model
Date   Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:45:33 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 29/7/09, Lu, Zhenyan wrote:
> I have a question regarding the note warning after running
> discrete-time logit model.
> After the result table reported in Stata, sometimes there
> is note that says
> "Note: 61 failures and 0 successes completely determined."
> All others are regular.
> I checked relevant Stata guidance that basically it says
> this may be caused by empty cells. So I deleted all empty
> cells and rerun models, but still with this kind of
> problem.

Empty cells means empty cells in a cross-tabulation of
your dependent and independent variables not in your
data-matrix. It could for instance occur when in a year
there are no events.

For a more regular way of doing a discrete time survival
analysis see: .
I am actually not sure if this will solve your problem,
but at least you will be able to present your results in
a metric that is more common to survival analysis people
(hazard ratios rather than odds ratios), which may make
it easier to "sell" your paper.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie