Re: st: Stata 11

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 11
Date   Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:39:24 -0500

Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> noted some items regarding
Stata 11's interface:

> 1) In the "Variables manager" both <Manage...> buttons do not work in
> the unpinned mode of "Variable Properties" (nothing happens). Click
> the pin to fix the window and they work again.

We have reproduced this in Stata for Windows; it will be fixed in the
next update.

> 2) In the "Data Browser" (for sysuse auto), I would expect "Filter by
> expression" condition t<20 to work, but Stata responds: ""Filter by
> expression:" is invalid". Condition trunk<20 works fine. Seems like
> here Stata can't unabbreviate variable names like it does everywhere
> else.

In the auto.dta dataset, two variables exist which begin with the
letter 't'.  Thus, the 't' in 't<20' is an ambiguous abbreviation,
resulting in the filter being invalid.  'tr<20' is what Sergiy needs
to type.

> 3) I would expect filter in "Variables manager" to support wildcards *
> and ? like anywhere else. E.g.  (using another dataset)
>
> des t?t*
> Also re: "Variables Manager", I wish the same colors as in "Data
> browser" were used in "Variables Manager" and Variables window to
> highlight string and numeric variables.

The "filter" field in the Variables Manager is not a variable list.
Rather, it is a string search which allows you to filter the variables
not only on their names but on their labels, value label names, types,
and even formats.  For example, if you have auto.dta loaded and type
'record' in the Variable Manager's filter, the Variable Manager will
show you the variable 'rep78' because its label is "Repair Record 1978".

Wildcard functionality and color coding are features we may consider
adding to the Variables Manager in the future.

--Alan