Re: st: multiple weights per person in GEE?

From   "Ariel Linden" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: multiple weights per person in GEE?
Date   Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:57:06 -0700

Thank you Joseph for your input and thoughts.

You will see from those references I provided earlier that the IPTW weights
are established for each person for each wave. The general model consists of
estimating the propensity score at a given wave (the probability of getting
treatment at that wave conditional on past characteristics and even past
treatment status). This is repeated at each wave for each person. After a
propensity score is estimated for each person/wave, the IPTW is then
calculated).

So there is a specific weight for each person/wave, and it indeed differs.
Robins, Hernan and Brumback (2000)* suggest using the SCWGT option in SAS
Proc Genmod together with the "repeated" option and specifying am
independence working correlation matrix.

In Stata, my work-around so far has been to use GLM with the pweight option
in which I refer to the IPTW variable I created (as described in the first
paragraph above). There is no need to rescale the weights.

I have not considered using survey modeling procedures in Stata to handle
these data, and I am not sufficiently familiar with the tools to know if
they will handle panel data with varying weights.

Again, I don't know how SAS GEE models handle varying weights per
person/period, but it is available, and researchers use it. Since I am a
Stata die-hard, I would hate to have to use SAS because I can't find a
solution in Stata.

Ariel

* Robins JM, Hernan MA, Brumback B. Marginal structural models and causal
inference in epidemiology. Epidemiology. 2000;11:550?560.