Re: st: Memory settings

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Memory settings
Date   Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:07:50 +0100

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Ismail Ait Saadi<> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am working on an urgent project where I need to use Exact Logistic Regression. I run the model and I get the message:
> " exceeded memory limit 0f 10.0M bytes, use the memory0 to increase the memory limit"
> well , I know how to set the memory and this what I used:
> set maxvar = 5000
> set memory = 700MB
> set matsize = 5000

If this is what you typed then it won't have worked and you will have
seen error messages like this....

. set memory = 700Mb
'=' found where integer expected

...and the amount of memory allocated to Stata will remain at 10Mb
(according to the error message you have posted).

See -man memory- for the correct syntax which when executed will show
you how much memory you have allocated...

. set memory 700M

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.909M
    set memory          700M    max. data space                700.000M
    set matsize         400     max. RHS vars in models          1.254M

> Anyone who can help? I really need this done ASAP.

It might be worth taking a moment to read -man syntax- so that you
understand the syntax structure of Stata commands, otherwise you'll
likely find you get quite frustrated over simple things like this.

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -