Re: st: Treatment for Missing Values - What Options ?

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Treatment for Missing Values - What Options ?
Date   Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:05:17 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 14/7/09, Chao Yawo wrote:
> I read the Demographic and Health survey website further,
> and the "missing values" are truly missing - due to
> interviewer errors.

Are these errors made by the interviewer, or are these
respondents that refuse to answer? If it is interviewer
error, is it likely that this error is related to your
dependent variable? If this is not the case then just
ignoring those cases will not lead to biased estimates,
and this would than be the safest strategy. See, for
example Paul Allison (2001) Missing Data. Thousand Oaks:
Sage.

> So, instead of imputing them, I decided on a different
> strategy. Conceptually, what is important for HIV risk
> is not necessarily the issue of unprotected sex, but
> unprotected sex with partners other than one's primary
> partner.

I don't think I buy that argument; the fact that I am
faithful to my partner doesn't mean that my partner is
faithful to me or that my partner hasn't contracted HIV
in the past.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis