st: Is anyone aware of the more efficient way to use reshape command

From   Dmitriy Krichevskiy <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Is anyone aware of the more efficient way to use reshape command
Date   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:44:35 -0400

Hello all,

I have a relatively large panel data set 0.6GB and I am trying to
reshape it from wide to long using   reshape. Allocating 7GB of memory
to Stata leads to 'not enough memory' message even though it is more
than 10 times the dataset. Allocating 12-15GB leads to Stata not
responding in Windows. I do have the latest PC with 64bit Vista and
64bit Stata 10, -compress- does not help either.
Any help is greatly appreciated.   Thanks

Dmitriy Krichevskiy