Re: st: RE: Converting a continuous var into a binary var

From   Pancho Villa <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Converting a continuous var into a binary var
Date   Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:01:03 -0400

Thank you, Nick and Martin.  I abbreviated my problem for simplicity.
So much that I'm afraid the feedback I got from you is not helping me
much.

Actually, my variable y is not binary, but categorical with more than
2 possible values.  My y depends on the 10th percentile values of x
and z, respectively.  (In fact, it depends on the values of other
variables, but that's not problematic.  This is the simplest
description of my problem that can get me helpful feedback from you.)

So, it's more like this:

y = 0 if x <= 10th percentile of x & z <= 10th percentile of z
y = 1 if x <= 10th percentile of x & z > 10th percentile of z
y = 2 if x > 10th percentile of x & z <= 10th percentile of z
y = 2 if x > 10th percentile of x & z > 10th percentile of z

I found that I can do this:

centile x z, centile(10)

which gives me the 10th percentiles of x and z in the same output.
But I don't know how to invoke the result for each variable in my next
lines.  Truly basic.

Thanks again,

PV