st: RE: Monthly observations to quarterly averages

From   Howard Lempel <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Monthly observations to quarterly averages
Date   Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:40:49 -0400

Try -findit tscollap-.

Hope this helps.
Howie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Musselwhite
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Monthly observations to quarterly averages

Hi Statalisters,

I have a dataset of unemployment rates by state by month and would
like to convert these into quarterly averages, so I'd like to take the
mean of every three observations and store it as a separate variable.

AK  99   Oct     0
AK  99   Nov   5
AK  99   Dec   10

would yield a value of 5, tied to that quarter. I'm imagining that
collapse is the command I want to use, but am having trouble finding
an example of this kind of process.

Thanks for your help,
David Musselwhite
Cornell University