st: what does constant implies in fixed effect

From   mukta mukherjee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: what does constant implies in fixed effect
Date   Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:40:04 -0400

Hi!
1) Could anybody tell me what does the constant implies in fixed
effect result in Stata. Because in fixed effect regression the
constant terms should ideally get deleted.
2) Further, I would like to get deviation of the dependent variable
from its individual (id) mean. so i used the following command:

xtreg depent variable , fe

But when I checked the residual it is a constant for each group . Why
is it so? and how to interpret the residual. Also how to get the
desired deviation.
Thanks
Mukta