RE: st: Stata 11 data format

From   Markus Hahn <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Stata 11 data format
Date   Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:51:56 +1000

Alan wrote:
> Variable and dataset labels still have a maximum length of 80
characters.
> I am not sure what Markus wants to put in the labels that is longer
> than 80 characters, but Stata's ability to put -notes- on variables
> and the dataset as a whole are what I would recommend.  Individual
> notes may be up to 67,784 characters long, and each variable and
> the dataset as a whole may have up to 9,999 notes.

As far I know, other packages such as Spss (or whatever it is called
now) do support longer labels for variables. The problem I see with the
limitation of 80 characters is that some data providers do not provide
native Stata data files. Converting data files, let's say from Spss
format to Stata format, could lead to truncated variable labels if the
Spss labels are longer than 80 characters. What's so annoying about this
is that sometimes the most interesting part of the label is at the end
and it is the end at which variable labels get truncated. I understand
that this is not Stata's problem per se. It may be the fault of the data
providers that create variable labels that are too long but still these
longer labels could contain valuable information. I don't see a reason
for Stata not having longer variable labels while value labels support
strings as long as 32,000 characters. If the problem is that Stata's
data format would not easily support longer variable labels (due to
performance or memory issues?), why not just save variable labels like
characteristics?

I am aware of possibility to use notes and characteristics and right now
this is the only way to conserve the information stored in longer
variable labels. It is just that variable labels are easier to access
than notes. This might have changed with the new variable/data editor? I
am thinking about persons new to Stata that may find themselves puzzled
if variable labels are truncated.

Cheers
Markus