Fwd: st: Parallel Stata Installations

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Fwd: st: Parallel Stata Installations
Date   Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:43:06 +0100

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Martin
Weiss<> wrote:
> re Stata 11 release: Could any of the long-time users on the list share
> their experience/problems/advice for using parallel installations of
> two/more Stata installations? Do any conflicts arise between the two? It is
> the first time I find myself in this kind of quandary...

There is a little dependence upon the OS you are using.

Primarily because M$-Windows attempts to hold your hands and
associates file extensions with a default program you may find that
double-clicking on a .dta/.do/.ado file may open the file in the
versions which was most recently installed (most likely Stata 11 in
this instance).

Under my Linux install I have multiple versions installed and symbolic
links pointing to the most recent installation.  Thus if I type
'xstata' to start the GUI version or 'stata' to start the CLI version
at a terminal (or more likely under Emacs Speaks Statistics) I will
run the most recent version.  I still have older versions installed
and accessible via symbolic links that are include the version (and
point the appropriate binary).  I don't use graphical file browsers so
never have any of the problems associated with the above.

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -