st: Help with ice for imputing a categorical variable

From   Dana March <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Help with ice for imputing a categorical variable
Date   Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:18:35 -0400

I am trying to impute missing values for a single categorical SES
variable, and am having a difficult time (I am new to multiple
imputation.)

About my data:
300 or so observations from a case-control study (n=544)
The variable of interest is a covariate in my analysis.  It has 4
categories, coded 0-4, with 0 as the reference category.  There are
74 missing values.
I would like to impute categorical values for this variable.
I have complete data for other continuous covariates I can use for
the imputation.

I have consulted ice help and Royston's 2005 paper in the Stata
Journal (vol 2, pp.1-14), scoured the net, and remain unclear about a
number of issues.
For example:
It is unclear to me whether I should use the ice command or the uvis
command.
It is also unclear to me whether I should specify the variable as a
categorical variable using xi: and i. (alternatively, as m., o.)

Any clear advice for someone new to MI and examples of syntax would
be *much* appreciated.

In advance, many thanks,
Dana March
PhD candidate in Epidemiology