st: RE: Hausman test for clustered random vs. fixed effects (again)

Subject   st: RE: Hausman test for clustered random vs. fixed effects (again)
Date   Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:31:32 +0100

Steve,

It's very much accepted in the literature.  In the -xtoverid- help file,
see especially the paper by Arellano and the book by Hayashi.

If you suspect heteroskedasticity or clustered errors, there really is
no good reason to go with a test (classic Hausman) that is invalid in
the presence of these problems.  The GMM -xtoverid- approach is a
generalization of the Hausman test, in the following sense:

- The Hausman and GMM tests of fixed vs. random effects have the same
degrees of freedom.  This means the result cited by Hayashi (and due to
Newey, if I recall) kicks in, namely...

- Under the assumption of homoskedasticity and independent errors, the
Hausman and GMM test statistics are numerically identical.  Same test.

- When you loosen the iid assumption and allow heteroskedasticity or
dependent data, the robust GMM test is the natural generalization.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark (author of -xtoverid-)

registered under charity number SC000278.