st: nested clusters with svy command

From   Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan <>
To   stata listserve <>
Subject   st: nested clusters with svy command
Date   Thu, 25 Jun 2009 01:05:02 -0700 (PDT)

I am doing some regressions and need to correct my standard errors for any possible clustering effects (municipalities, districts).

Reading Austin's presentation  (, it says that I can use svy commands in stata. I have tried the following and I get:

svyset goverurban || clusternum
Note: stage 1 is sampled with replacement; all further stages will be ignored

      pweight: <none>
          VCE: linearized
  Single unit: missing
     Strata 1: <one>
         SU 1: goverurban
        FPC 1: <zero>

Which means Stata ignores the second clustering effects (clusternum: districts)?

Has anyone had a different outcome? So it is not possible to correct for nested clusters?