Re: st: File cannot be save error message. Problem with xml_tab and log using.

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: File cannot be save error message. Problem with xml_tab and log using.
Date   Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:28:09 -0400

In the thread he refers to, Eric explains that likely causes are:

"(1) your computer/OS is capriciously setting your file with a read-only attribute (as Nick points out, this can happen with Windows XP) or (2) when Stata tells the OS to write the file to myfile_happ.txt, the OS is moving too slowly, Stata moves on to the next loop and tries to write again, but the file is read- only because it is still being written to by the OS (or BOTH (1) and (2) are happening)."

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago, and the problem was akin to #2. I use Windows Live Sync (WLS), which maintains file synchronization on multiple computers. In one instance, I was getting errors because Stata was writing a file and then trying to overwrite the file faster than WLS could lock, copy, and unlock it. I wonder if Amadou is having problems for similar reasons (some sort of file sharing program).

Michael

Eric A. Booth wrote:
I've had success with setting the file/folder permissions using the command line.
 Look at this statalist thread for details:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-05/msg00394.html

Eric

__
Eric A. Booth