st: RE: RE: AW: Rank transformation

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: AW: Rank transformation
Date   Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:45:39 +0100

Check out the -track- option of -egen, rank()-.

Note that

. search rank

would have pointed you to this (and other stuff too).

Your example doesn't correspond to your original question, but that
seems of minor importance.

Apostolos Ballas

Let's say for respondents 1 and 2 the answers are as follows:

   RESP.1 RESP.2
Q1	3	2
Q2	2	5
Q3	4	5
Q4	1	3
Q5	4	4
Q6	3	2
Q7	4	4
Q8	2	3
Q9	4	4
Q10	3	4
Q11	4	4
Q12	4	5
Q13	5	4
Q14	4	1

I want to recode it as follows:

   RESP.1  RESP.2
Q1	4	2
Q2	2	12
Q3	7	12
Q4	1	4
Q5	7	6
Q6	4	2
Q7	7	6
Q8	2	4
Q9	7	6
Q10	4	6
Q11	7	6
Q12	7	12
Q13	14	6
Q14	7	1

Martin Weiss

Forget about your spreadsheet thing and stick to Stata, first of all.
Secondly, give an excerpt from your data, as your request sounds easily
doable...

Apostolos Ballas
Betreff: st: Rank transformation

I have a dataset where X respondents have replied to 10 questions.
Answers
are on a Likert scale. I want to transform the data where the highest
scoring question is ranked 1st and the lowest 10th. Is there a simple
way
that I can do that automatically in Stata or should I recode everything
in
Excel?